Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Zumjay Joins the US Army Reserves

Boy have we got some ‘Zumjay news’ for you!

It appears that deejay Zumjay, known for the hits Courtney, Zumjay News and Dancing Team, will soon be trying to shrug off the infamous GI Blues as he will be deployed overseas as part of an Army battalion fighting for good old Uncle Sam.
Yes, you read it right folks. Zumjay has joined the US Army reserves, and could be looking to chalk up his first tour of duty sometime later this year.

“My primary reason for enlisting in the army was to provide security for me and my family. The music industry, although it is my first love, doesn’t provide a pension so this is my alternative,” he said.

“I cannot rely on music five years from now, I cannot have the quality of my life dependent on whether some selector plays my song or not, or whether a promoter wants to book me for a show. I have to look past that.”

Zumjay intends to jumpstart his tertiary education while completing his tour of duty with the Army. Using the US Army’s resources which encourage tertiary education, Zumjay will be reading for a degree in video arts and technology at the Borough of Manhattan Community College.

“I will also have the opportunity to secure my daughter’s college tuition as well, so this is a big opportunity for me,” he said.

Zumjay endured a gruelling 10 week period of Basic Combat Training and another eight weeks of Advanced Individual training but luckily, the deejay had spent a couple of weeks before enlistment whipping his body into shape.

“It was very challenging mentally and physically. I had to get up and run five miles a day every morning at a pace set by the drill sergeant. There is no choice as to how fast you will be running, it wasn’t easy but I was an athlete at KC, so it was more mental, being away from my family, my wife Aviesha and my daughter Safiyah,” he said.

Zumjay got married on November 29 in 2006 to adolescent sweetheart Aviesha Palmer, a Cornel grad who is a risk analyst for a major firm in New York. The couple has a nine month old daughter who was born in June 2008.

How does your wife feel about your decision to enlist?

“She supports me 100 per cent and as a well educated person, she sees it as an avenue to get where I want to go,” he said.

Zum said he has no fear that he might be killed in the line of duty.

“No fear. I am well trained, disciplined, physically and mentally tough. I believe in God, I pray to Him each day and night to let me go back home safely to my family and to guide my steps…this is just my time to make things happen outside of music. I see Zumjay as not just a performer but as a contributor to society and I am ready to play my part,” he said.

But dancehall fans need not worry, Zumjay will still spit his artfully conceived rhymes for your listening pleasure.

“I am continuously recording in New York. More recently, I have worked with Billboard-topping producers such as Sno Cone (Money Man ah Look), Natural Bridge Records, and upcoming producers Platinum Kids who are popular on the New York scene with a collabo with Kristopher called The World is Yours,” he said.

Zumjay has already released a new single called Been There, Did It which was produced by Lenky Marsden.

“The song is currently getting airplay around the world. Also, you can hit me up on www.myspace.com/zumjay to check out the very latest with what’s happening with me,” Zumjay said.

He thanked various friends who had played an integral role in supporting his decision to enlist.

“I am grateful for the support of my family and the music industry, friends such as Lenky Marsden, Mighty Mike, Mac X of Full Blast Sound, Assassin, Bling Dawg, Alozade, Fyalinks and Cassette Jones.

Source: One 876 Ent

No comments: